Wednesday, 19 August 2009

Philosopher Alain Badiou is Rabbit Shock.

Speaking recently the famous French philosopher, Alain Badiou, said:

My father was an alumnus of the École Normale Superieure and agrégé of mathematics: my mother an alumna of the École Normale Supérieure and agrégée of French literature. I am an alumnus of the École Normale Supérieure and agrégé, but agrege of what, of philosophy, that is to say, probably, the only possible way to assume the double filiation and circulate freely between the literary maternity and the mathematical paternity. This is a lesson for philosophy itself : the language of philosophy always constructs its own space between the matheme and the poem, between the mother and the father, after all.

Someone saw that very clearly, my colleague, the French analytic philosopher Jacques Bouveresse, from the Collège de France. In a recent book in which he paid me the horror of speaking of me, he compared me to a five-footed rabbit and says in substance: "This five- footed rabbit that Alain Badiou is runs at top speed in the direction of mathematic formalism, and then, all of a sudden, taking an incomprehensible turn, he goes back on his steps and runs at the same speed to throw himself into literature." Well, yes, that's how with a father and a mother so well distributed, one turns into a rabbit.

Back in the day when I had a brain and could read, his books Ethics: An Essay on the Understanding of Evil and Saint Paul: The Foundation of Universalism
had a big impact on me. They are, I'd suggest, essential reading for philosophically-inclined, melancholic rabbit hunters.
_________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check those out! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. naw - i'd rather eat my own crap :-P

    ReplyDelete